If there is one thing that the city of Los Angeles is famous for (besides Hollywood), it’s the traffic. Indeed, Los Angeles has a reputation as one of the worst cities in the nation to drive in, and has even been listed as one of the worst cities in the world for traffic congestion.
Traffic congestion isn’t just frustrating; it’s also dangerous. To be sure, the more cars that are on the road, the greater the risk of car accidents. Which is likely one of the primary reasons that Los Angeles County reports more collisions that result in injuries and fatalities than any other county in the state.
Being in a car accident can be scary, especially if the accident leaves you with serious injuries. At the law offices of the Dolan Law Firm, our Los Angeles car accident lawyers want to help you recover the settlement that you deserve after a crash, and are available to meet for your free consultation today.
Determining Liability after a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, understanding the concept of liability and the legal theory of negligence is important – both of these elements will have a large effect on your ability to recover compensation after a crash.
California is an at-fault car insurance state, also known as a tort liability state. This means that whoever causes an accident is liable–or legally responsible–for the damages that result. Liability is based on negligence, the failure to exercise a property duty of care. Acts that may be considered negligent range from those acts that are actually illegal (like driving while intoxicated) to acts that are merely unsafe (like having an unsecured pet in the car and attending to it while driving).
It is also important to remember that California recognizes the rule of comparative negligence, which holds that while a plaintiff can recover compensation from a negligent defendant, the plaintiff’s recovery award will be reduced in proportion to their own degree of fault.
Because fault can have a huge effect on the amount of money you are able to recover after a crash, opening an investigation into your accident that proves that the crash would not have occurred but for the actions of the other driver is key. Our lawyers are prepared to aid you in doing this.
Damages Recoverable in a Los Angeles Car Accident Claim
Once fault for your car accident has been established, the next step is determining the amount of damages that you have suffered. Damages that are recoverable in a car accident claim or lawsuit include:
- Medical expenses. If your car accident resulted in any injuries, you deserve to be compensated for the full value of these costs, both present and future.
- Lost wages. Injuries are often disabling, leaving a person temporarily or permanently unable to work and earn an income. When this is the case, compensation for the full value of your lost wages and future lost wages is available.
- Pain and suffering. Noneconomic damages, such as the value of your pain, suffering, emotional distress, loss of quality of life, etc., are also available as part of your car accident settlement. Our lawyers can help you to understand how these damages are calculated and what your claim may be worth.
- Property damages. If your vehicle was damaged in the crash, you can seek compensation for the cost of repairs.
If you have suffered any other economic or noneconomic losses, our lawyers can calculate these and demand compensation as part of your settlement.
How Our Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers Help You
If you’ve been in a crash, you may be unconvinced that you need an attorney. While it’s true that lawyers are not always necessary, working with a lawyer may significantly improve the outcome of your case. This is especially true when fault is disputed, your claim has been denied, or/and you have suffered serious injuries. Our Los Angeles car accident lawyers can help you by:
- Investigating your case. Our lawyers have the resources that are required to thoroughly investigate your case. In addition to speaking with witnesses, securing evidence, and reviewing police reports, we can also hire accident reconstruction and other experts on your behalf.
- Calculate your damages. We also work with experts and outside professionals when determining the value of your case. We never shortchange the amount of damages you have suffered, always fighting for the full value of your losses.
- Determine and prove liability. In order to recover 100 percent of the damages you deserve, you must prove the liability of the other party. We handle this part of the claim process for you, so you can focus on your recovery.
- Manage your claim. We manage all elements of your claim, including talks with an insurance adjuster, organizing documents, and ensuring that your claim is brought forth within the required time frame. We have a large staff who assist us in being effective.
- Negotiate a settlement. You should never accept a first settlement offer; first settlement offers are typically less than a claimant deserves. We negotiate your settlement to improve your chances of getting the highest compensation award possible.
- Litigate your case. Finally, in the event that out-of-court negotiations are unsuccessful, we can litigate your case in court. We will guide you through this option as needed.
Call Our Car Accident Lawyers in LA Today
There is no doubt that you deserve to be compensated when you are involved in an accident caused by the negligence of another party. However, if you don’t hire a lawyer, you may not recover a settlement amount that is fair and just.
When you call our lawyers, we will discuss your accident with you and provide you with legal advice free of charge. If you decide to hire our law firm, we will work on a contingency fee basis, so you never have to pay us for ineffective services.
To schedule a free consultation, please call us today or send us a message. Our legal team is ready to advocate for you.