Every year, there are hundreds of fatal accidents involving large trucks reported in the state of California, and thousands that result in injuries. What is most terrible about these accidents, perhaps, is that the vast majority of them were completely avoidable, and likely happened as a result of negligence. Indeed, most large truck accidents would never occur but for avoidable errors and a deviation from the standard of care.
At the Dolan Law Firm, our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers understand what you are going through if you’ve been in a truck accident, or lost a loved one in a large truck collision. These accidents have tragic consequences, leaving victims feeling hopeless about the future. When you call our law office, we will do everything we can to help you understand your options and recover a large settlement for the harm you’ve suffered.
A Los Angeles Truck Accident Can Change Your Life
There is no doubt that the effects of a large truck accident can be life-changing. When a truck accident is not fatal, victims may suffer severe, disabling, and disfiguring injuries. Types of injuries that are common in large truck accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries. The brain is one of the most fragile parts of the body, and if it is impacted, the victim could sustain a TBI that affects cognition, sensation, emotion, and more.
- Spinal cord injury. One of the most catastrophic injury types is a spinal cord injury, which is incurred when the spinal cord (which runs the length of the spine and transmits messages between the brain and the rest of the body) is damaged. This injury type can result in partial or complete paralysis from the site of the injury downwards and is permanent.
- External injuries. External injuries may include lacerations, cuts, bruises, burn injuries, and anything that can be seen on the body with the naked eye. Facial injuries are very common in large truck accidents.
- Injuries to extremities. The extremities are at high risk of injury in a crash, especially one involving a large truck as the force involved in this accident type is significant. Injuries to extremities might include bone fractures, soft tissue injuries (muscle and ligament tears), and in severe cases, crush or amputation injuries.
- Internal injuries. Finally, internal injuries are common in large truck crashes, as force can result in bleeding of internal organs.
These injuries are painful to even think about, let alone experience.
Injuries in a truck accident are not limited to damage to the body that is remedied after a trip to the hospital. A person who suffers any of the injuries above–or a combination of the above injuries–will likely incur high medical costs, suffer property damage expenses, be disabled temporarily or permanently, suffer lost wages and the ability to earn an income, experience a diminished quality of life, and experience pain and suffering.
Recovering Compensation after a Los Angeles Truck Accident
If you are involved in a truck accident and you suffer any type of harm, you deserve to be compensated for those losses. California is an at-fault car insurance state, which means that the most common method of recovery is filing a claim against the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Unfortunately, truck accident claims can be complicated, in large part because there are so many potentially liable parties. It can be difficult to determine fault immediately in a large truck accident, as there may be questions as to what actually caused the crash. For example, common causes of truck accidents include:
- Truck driver error – such as falling asleep at the wheel, driving too fast for conditions, or operating a vehicle while distracted or impaired;
- Trucking company error – such as failing to service/maintain trucks, failing to properly train drivers, or asking a driver to violate the federal hours of service requirements;
- Shipper/loader error – if the accident was caused by a shift in cargo, the blame could lie on the shoulders of whoever loaded the cargo; and
- Truck (part) manufacturer error – some truck accidents are caused by defective vehicle parts, such as defective tires or brakes. If an accident is the result of a defective vehicle part, the manufacturer or distributor of that part may be to blame.
How Our Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyers Help You
Our truck accident lawyers in Los Angeles are passionate about helping you recover the compensation that you deserve after a crash. In order to maximize the amount of compensation that you can recover, our lawyers start by thoroughly investigating your case to identify all liable parties and prove fault. Not only do we travel to the accident site, speak with police officers, interview witnesses, and analyze all evidence and data, we also have the resources to hire accident reconstruction and forensic experts to help us determine and prove how your truck accident occurred.
From there, we calculate the full extent of damages you have suffered, including both economic and noneconomic losses. Then, we issue a demand letter to the appropriate insurance company, requesting compensation for the full value of your losses.
It’s Important to Act Quickly
We know that initiating the claims process, opening an investigation, and calling a lawyer is probably the furthest thing from your mind in the immediate aftermath of a truck accident. But acting quickly to file a truck accident claim is essential. Not only do you want to make sure that evidence for your claim is preserved, but if you fail to file your claim within two years from the date of your accident, you will be barred from recover per California’s statute of limitations. Please be advised that your potential case is governed by a statute of limitations (a limited time period in which you must begin a lawsuit). Statutes of limitations differ depending on the type of case involved. Some of these time periods may be as short as six months, while others can be as long as two years. We do not have enough information to identify which statute of limitations applies in your case. You should consult with a lawyer, the California Code of Civil Procedure, internet resources, and/or visit your law library to identify the applicable statute of limitations for your matter. When you call our law firm, we will start working on your claim, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Call Our Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyers Today
Truck accidents are some of the most terrifying and devastating motor vehicle accident types. If you are injured in a truck accident or lose a loved one, please call our truck accident lawyers in Los Angeles for a free consultation and knowledgeable information you can trust. Start by sending us a message, or calling our law firm directly today.