Justice Empowerment Scholarship Award Requirements
Award: One $2,500 scholarship paid to the winning student.
Deadline: This is a recurring scholarship that will be offered every year. The deadline for the 2020 Justice Empowerment Scholarship is July 31, 2020.
Criteria: Submissions are evaluated primarily on the persuasiveness of arguments contained in the video. Creativity, images, and innovation incorporated into the video are also taken into account. The scholarship winner is determined solely by the Dolan Law Firm.
Eligibility: Students attending an accredited U.S. college (including community college) or university are eligible for the scholarship. High school seniors who will be attending an accredited U.S. college or university this Fall are also eligible to apply. No employees of the Dolan Law Firm, or their spouses and family members, nor any employees, spouses and family members of any vendors of the Dolan Law Firm, are eligible.
- Applicants must create a 4 to 6 minute video on the topic of justice.
- In the video, introduce yourself and address the following questions:
What does justice mean to you?
What you think needs to be changed in our society to make it more just?
How you can help bring about this change?
- Videos must be uploaded to YouTube with the title: “2020 Justice Empowerment Scholarship Submission By _______” Insert your name in the blank space.
- In the description of the video on YouTube, briefly summarize your video and include in the description the following statement: The Justice Empowerment Scholarship is provided by the Dolan Law Firm which can be found online at https://dolanlawfirm.com
- Once you have uploaded the video, submit the link to the video below and all other required information:
- Any videos filmed, edited or produced by a professional video photographer or video production company are prohibited. You may have the assistance of family and friends as long as they are not professional video photographers, editors or producers.
- Videos that do not follow the submission requirements will not be considered for the award.
Publication of the Award: The award winner agrees that the Dolan Law Firm may use their name, city, and state, and post his/her photo with a link to the video on YouTube, the Dolan Law Firm website, Dolan Law Firm social media pages (e.g. our Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages), and for other public relations and marketing purposes as determined by the Dolan Law Firm.
Privacy Statement: No applicant’s email address or phone number will be sold or released to any third parties.
Non-Discrimination Statement: The Dolan Law Firm is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity. All award submissions will be evaluated on the content of the videos and without regard to the applicant’s race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, nation of origin, or any other criteria in violation of the law.
2019 Justice Empowerment Scholarship Award Winner
We are thrilled to announce that the recipient of the 2019 Dolan Law Firm Justice Empowerment Scholarship is Adrian Hurndon, an undergraduate student at Northeast Community College. Hurndon was awarded a scholarship of $2,500 by Dolan Law Firm.
Hurndon, is studying sociology in pursuit of a long-time dream of becoming the first sociology teacher to high school students in his hometown. In his compelling video, Hurndon returns to his hometown of Pittsburgh, Texas, to discuss issues about discrimination, lack of educational opportunities, and police brutality. Hurndon, having experienced these issues first-hand, sets out his strategy against these issues when he declares, “I will complete my education to educate my community and restore their faith in the justice system.”
Adrian Hurndon, an upbeat percussionist, when asked what inspired him to submit a video for the 2019 Justice Empowerment Scholarship said, “It is the perfect opportunity to let people know that awareness is only part of the solution and it’s time to take action and stand up for ourselves.” Hurndon born and raised in Pittsburgh, Texas, passionately spoke about the injustice he experiences in his community, the lack of action and the solution in his award-winning video.
Here is Adrian Hurndon’s award-winning video:
We applaud and admire Adrian for his passion and commitment to advocating and educating his community and anyone he meets. We at Dolan Law share the same values and beliefs that justice is for all.
Additional 2019 Justice Empowerment Scholarship Submissions
Ahliyah Sanford, University of California, Berkeley
Rodolfo Galván, Southern New Hampshire University
Kesia Eng, UCLA
Abril Chihuahua Ramirez, Maricopa Community College
Sylvia Lee, UCLA
Aurelius Miles Francisco, University of Oklahoma
Ricky (Hung) Nguyen, University of California, Santa Cruz
2018 Justice Empowerment Scholarship Award Winner
2017 Justice Empowerment Scholarship Award Winner