Pedestrian Accident Lawsuits Verdicts and Settlements
- $4.25 million SETTLEMENT, Personal Injury, um v. City and County of San Francisco, et al. A 13-year-old boy suffered permanent brain damage after being struck by a vehicle at the intersection of San Jose Avenue and Niagara Street in San Francisco. The intersection at the time of the accident consisted of traffic lanes traveling in five different directions without any stop signs controlling northbound or southbound traffic. Although prior to the incident, community leaders advised City representatives that the intersection presented a danger to pedestrians, no action by the City was taken. After the incident, the Dolan Law Firm, on behalf of the boy, sued the City alleging that the accident was caused by a dangerous condition of public property. The City agreed to pay $4,250,000 and placed an additional stop sign at the intersection. The driver agreed to pay her insurance policy limit of $15,000.
- $2.25 million SETTLEMENT. A 56-year-old woman crossing the street in San Francisco on her way to work as a health care assistant was struck and killed by a Muni bus whose driver says he never saw her. The lawsuit was brought on behalf of the children and husband of the deceased. Names confidential as condition of settlement.
- $2,008,000 VERDICT, jury trial, Ryan v. CCSF, San Francisco Superior Court. Defendant City and County of San Francisco, represented by the City Attorney’s Office. Plaintiff Ryan was a pedestrian crossing Market Street to Muni Island, in front of the Flood Building in San Francisco. He twisted his ankle because of a dangerous condition of public property, an 11″ diameter pothole that was approximately 1.5 inches deep, resulting in severe back injury and lower leg paralysis below the knee (drop foot).
- $1.25 million SETTLEMENT. Plaintiff was a pedestrian who was struck and killed by a Muni bus at an intersection. The police report reflected a witness statement that the pedestrian was crossing against a red light. The Dolan Law Firm demonstrated that the light the witness had seen, which he claimed to be red, was a light that only faced the bus driver, and, therefore, proved the bus was running a red light. Extensive testimony was also obtained from other independent witnesses that showed that the bus was moving rapidly and the bus driver was looking over his left shoulder as he merged into traffic and drove into the pedestrian. The lawsuit was brought on behalf of the children and husband of the deceased.
- $984,000 SETTLEMENT. Decedent was a 15-year-old female who was crossing the street in a crosswalk with a green light when a Muni bus sped through the crosswalk seeking to make a right on red turn. The bus struck decedent, throwing her to the ground, and then proceeded to run her over. The lawsuit was brought on behalf of the parents of the deceased and on behalf of her 12-year-old niece who watched the entire incident unfold.
- $750,000 SETTLEMENT. An elderly man was killed on December 17, 2005, after being struck by a San Francisco Muni bus at the intersection of Haight and Cole streets in San Francisco. The plaintiff was crossing (in a clearly marked crosswalk) on Haight Street, when a Muni bus, coming from behind him on Cole Street, turned right, struck him, and threw him to the ground, resulting in a fractured spine and severely injured skull causing his death from multiple blunt force trauma and severe cerebral damage. The City contested fault claiming the pedestrian “darted out” in front of the bus thereby claiming the pedestrian was 100% at fault. The Dolan Law Firm, on behalf of the plaintiff’s children, sued the City and the driver of the bus for negligence. The decedent, a retired elderly man, had been estranged from his children for many years but was on the verge of reconciliation when killed. After two years of litigation, The City agreed to pay $750,000.
Contact the Dolan Law Firm
If you have been injured in a Bay Area pedestrian accident and you need an energetic lawyer who cares about you as a person and is dedicated to getting you the best result, contact the attorneys of the Dolan Law Firm. Contact The Dolan Law Firm for a free case evaluation by calling 888-452-4752 or contacting us online.
Our services are available in Spanish, and evening and weekend appointments are available. We will even come to you in your home or the hospital if you are unable to come to us. Our injury lawyers work on a contingent fee.