Summary Of California Personal Injury Law
The phrase “personal injury” is a legal term that refers to physical injuries and financial losses resulting from another’s reckless, careless or intentional wrongdoing.
To get compensation from a person, government agency or corporation (and their insurance company) who injured you, you must be able to prove three things:
- The extent of your damages
- How the harm was caused
- That the other party was liable (at fault)
Legal responsibility, called “liability,”does not require you to prove the person, government agency or corporation at fault intended to harm you. Proving negligence – conduct that was unsafe and unreasonable under the circumstances, such speeding and causing a car accident – is sufficient evidence to demonstrate liability.
Under California law, a person who suffers a personal injury can recovery monetary damages for:
- Past and future physical pain and suffering, mental anguish and physical impairment;
- Past and future medical, incidental and hospital expenses;
- Past and future lost wages and lost earning capacity; and
- Punitive damages in cases of egregious wrongdoing.
If a person has died as the result of another’s negligence (a “wrongful death“), family members can seek compensation for their loss.
Top Rated Bay Area & San Francisco Personal Injury Attorney
For over 20 years, the personal injury attorneys at the Dolan Law Firm have prosecuted strong, effective cases and achieved hundreds of millions of dollars in recoveries for our clients in the San Francisco Bay Area and across California.
The SF Weekly has rated Chris Dolan San Francisco’s Best Injury Lawyer. US News and Best Lawyers have rated our firm a Best Law Firm. We have received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau for our work on behalf our clients in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits.
- We are relentless and principled advocates for our clients. We offer each client individual superior legal representation backed by substantial financial and technological resources that no individual attorney or small law firm can provide;
- We thoroughly investigate each case and have access to the leading accident reconstruction and biomechanics experts for cases involving brain, spine, neck and back injuries;
- We are known for taking challenging and complicated cases to trial and prevailing. As a result, we often obtain recoveries far above industry averages, including some of the largest verdicts and settlements ever in individual injury lawsuits in California;
- Chris Dolan our founder and lead trial attorney, personally supervises all serious injury cases our firm prosecutes. Chris has been repeatedly selected by multiple publications as one of the top trial lawyers in California.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Serious Injuries & Wrongful Death
No case is too complex for us to handle. San Francisco personal injury lawyer Chris Dolan and his team of attorneys have obtained record verdicts and settlements for their clients including in cases involving:
- Animal Attacks
- Brain injuries
- Burn injuries and caustic burn injuries
- Premises Liability: also called Slip and Fall lawsuits. This applies when a dangerous property condition caused an injury.
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Spinal cord injuries
- Third party liability
- Tourist injuries
- Wrongful death
Contact An Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
The burden of proof is on you — the injured person. Seldom is this an easy task. That is why most people contact a personal injury attorney to handle their claim or to take their case to court. Call us toll free at 1-888-452-4752 or complete our contact form for a free consultation.
We encourage you to visit our Testimonials page and see our clients explain how we successfully resolved their claims.