Berkeley, CA Car Accident Lawyer
Attorneys Fighting for Berkeley, CA Car Accident Victims
California roadways are heavily trafficked, so some of the statistics on auto crashes come as no surprise. Data collected by the California Office of Traffic Safety reveals that there are around 160,000 injury-causing car accidents every year and approximately 230,000 victims are hurt in these incidents. If you are one of them, your life may change in an instant. You face sky-high medical bills and may be out of work due to your injuries. During these difficult times, you could also be experiencing severe pain and suffering. Though you may be generally aware of your rights, you know that filing a claim to recover compensation can be a daunting task.
When you work with the skilled car accident attorneys at Dolan Law Firm, you can feel confident that you have a strong, knowledgeable advocate on your side. We tackle tough auto collision cases head-on, fighting for the compensation you deserve after suffering painful injuries due to another driver’s carelessness. Our team has decades of combined experience representing car accident victims in Berkeley, San Francisco, Marin County, CA and throughout the Bay Area. We are aggressive in pursuing the responsible driver’s insurance company, whether in settlement negotiations or in a courtroom.
Solid Representation in California Car Accident Cases
The majority of traffic-related collisions are the result of a driver’s negligence, which is a legal concept that requires proof of certain elements. They include:
1. Duty: All drivers owe a duty of care to others with whom they share the road.
2. Breach: The responsible motorist deviated from this standard of care, breaching the legal duty.
3. Causation: The breach of duty directly caused the accident that led to your injuries.
4. Damages: You suffered losses as a result of your injuries.
Proving each of these elements is more difficult than it may seem, but you must firmly establish each in order to recover compensation. The car accident team at the Dolan Law Firm gathers all evidence necessary with respect to these four components, and we also partner with experts and resources to support our efforts. Our attorneys have access to:
- Private investigators;
- Financial analysts;
- Specialists in motor vehicle technology;
- Accident reconstruction experts;
- 3D accident reconstruction software;
- Medical experts, as consultants and witnesses who testify as experts in court under the California Evidence Code;
- Economic specialists and actuaries, who help explain how your injuries impact your future employability and medical costs; and,
- Many other support experts and resources.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents
Most car crashes are preventable, but occur because of negligence. The key factor is the breach of duty and failing to comply with standards of reasonable care. There are many reasons that traffic incidents occur, but some of the more common causes of car accidents are violations of California’s Rules of the Road, such as:
- Speeding over the posted limit;
- Traveling at a speed that is unsafe for conditions, regardless of the posted limit;
- Failure to stop at a red light or sign;
- Improper lane changes;
- Illegal turns or U-turns;
- Not using turn indicators;
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol; and,
- Many more.
Distracted Driving: One cause of California car accidents that is on the rise, unfortunately, is distracted driving. State law includes many prohibitions on operating a portable electronic device while behind the wheel, but many motorists ignore the statute. Plus, there are many forms of distracted driving that are not prohibited by law. Regardless of legality, distracted driving poses hazards to anyone on the road and it encompasses:
- Sending, reading, or composing a text;
- Surfing the internet;
- Reviewing social media;
- Capturing, taking, or posting videos and images;
- Consuming food or beverages;
- Manipulating the radio;
- Using GPS technology; and,
- Many other activities.
Distracted driving leads to traffic collisions because it impacts various capabilities of the motorist. Activities that require drivers to take their eyes away from the road and surrounding conditions cause visual interference. There may be manual implications when operators remove their hands from the steering wheel or vehicle systems. The activities of a motorist that are unrelated to operating the vehicle are clear signs of negligence that lead to auto accidents.
Seeking Compensation for Your Losses
The Dolan Law Firm team is dedicated to pursuing the responsible party for all losses you suffer due to your injuries, which may be more extensive than you expect. We make sure you receive full compensation for the past, present, and future, which may include:
- Medical costs for treatment of physical conditions, mental anguish, scarring, and disfigurement;
- Loss of earnings, business opportunities, and earning capacity;
- Property damage;
- Losses related to the impact upon your personal relationships with your spouse, children, and other loved ones; and,
- Many other types of losses, depending on the details of your case.
Note that your ability to recover full compensation may be limited by California law. Please be advised that your potential case is governed by a statute of limitations (a limited time period in which you must begin a lawsuit). Statutes of limitations differ depending on the type of case involved. Some of these time periods may be as short as six months, while others can be as long as two years. We do not have enough information to identify which statute of limitations applies in your case. You should consult with a lawyer, the California Code of Civil Procedure, internet resources, and/or visit your law library to identify the applicable statute of limitations for your matter. If your own negligent actions contributed to the incident, your compensation is reduced by the percentage of fault attributable to you. Our lawyers at the Dolan Law Firm can advise you on both of these legal concepts to ensure they do not negatively impact your recovery.
Trust a Berkeley, CA Car Accident Lawyer to Protect Your Rights
If you were injured in an auto collision in California, our Dolan Law Firm attorneys provide the solid representation you can trust. We have the knowledge to take on insurance companies in settlement negotiations, and the experience to fight for your rights in court. We can tell you more about your options and legal strategies after reviewing the details of your case, so please call us toll free at 1-888-452-4752 to schedule a free, no-obligations consultation. You can also visit our website to learn more about our legal services for Berkeley, CA car accident victims.