The Dolan Law Firm is joining with federal, state and local highway safety, law enforcement and motorcycle organizations in proclaiming May as “Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.” During this time – and during the rest of the year – road users are reminded to never drive, ride, walk or bicycle while distracted. Motorcyclists are reminded to make sure that they remain visible to motorists and that they follow the rules of the road.
Preventing Bay Area Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable drivers on local roads. Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are about 39 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in traffic crashes.
Motorcyclist deaths have increased during 12 of the past 13 years, with 4,502 motorcyclists dying in 2010 alone. Changing the driving habits of car drivers and motorcyclists alike will help decrease the number of motorcyclists killed and injured in crashes.
Attentive driving is even more important during summer months when more drivers, especially tourists, are on local roads. A motorcycle is typically the smallest vehicle on local roads and may be in a driver’s blind spot. This is why every driver needs to routinely check for motorcycles before changing lanes or merging with traffic. Additionally, lane splitting is legal in California, so drivers should check for motorcyclists before shifting within their own traffic lanes.
Safety Tips for Car Drivers
Car drivers should follow these five important rules to help improve motorcycle safety in the Bay Area:
- Remember that a motorcycle is a vehicle with all of the rights and privileges of any other motor vehicle.
- Perform a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or exiting a lane of traffic, moving drastically within a lane, and at intersections.
- Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
- Never tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.
- Never drive while distracted.
Safety Tips for San Francisco Motorcyclists:
Here are five simple safety habits that can help a motorcyclist avoid serious injuries in a traffic accident:
- Avoid riding in inclement weather.
- Wear brightly colored protective gear and a DOT-compliant helmet
- Use turn and hand signals for every turn.
- Position yourself in the lane where you will be most visible to other drivers and avoid lane splitting at high speeds.
- Only ride when you are completely sober.
The Dolan Law Firm’s message to all drivers and motorcyclists is: Help to share in the responsibility of keeping all road users safe and do your part by safely “sharing the road.”
The San Francisco-based Dolan Law Firm is the Bay Area’s premier motorcycle accident litigation firm. The firm specializes in representing motorcycle accident victims because founder Christopher Dolan is an avid biker who understands the risks associated with being a motorcyclist in California.
Chris Dolan is an outspoken advocate for motorcycle safety and has developed a strong reputation for representing San Francisco motorcycle accident victims in high-profile cases. He is one of California’s most respected trial lawyers and has obtained tens of millions of dollars for motorcycle accident victims.
To learn more about Chris Dolan or The Dolan Law Firm, visit our motorcycle accident website at http://bike-law.com or call us at 888-452-4752.