Under California law, if you or someone dear to you has been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover damages for your loss.
Whether it is a motor vehicle accident, pedestrian accident, medical malpractice, at the Dolan Law Firm, our personal injury attorney team can take on the challenges of protecting what matters most to you. If you decide to work with us, you will be choosing a well-established law firm in Oakland, California — and one with a proven track record of success on behalf of injury parties across the state.
Speak to a seasoned Oakland personal injury attorney in complete confidence. At no cost and no obligation. Call us now at 510-878-4143 to schedule a free no-risk case evaluation.
Do I Have A Personal Injury Case?
Injury cases typically fall under tort law, in which one party is held legally responsible for an injury suffered by another. To build a strong personal injury case, you need to prove three things:
The other party owed you reasonable care
Each individual is responsible for taking reasonable care to avoid harming other people and/or their property. This could be a duty to follow standards set forth by the medical community or the standard of care a person should exercise when facing bad driving conditions, owning a pet, etc.
The responsible party was careless (negligent)
If a person has failed in their duty of care, this can be demonstrated by acts or omissions. For example, if a traffic law was broken, or if a property owner failed to take measurable safety precautions.
Their negligence resulted in your personal injury
It is not always enough to prove negligence — plaintiffs must also prove that their injury was a direct result of a negligent action. There are several ways to establish this, including expert testimony, witness statements, or any other kind of evidence to support your claim.
An example of a valid personal injury claim: a slip and fall accident. Suppose a property owner fails to keep their premises safe, and a person slips, falls, and is injured. In that case, they may be able to sue the property owner to recover damages as a result of the fall. In this instance, all three elements of a personal injury claim are met — the property owner owed the person reasonable care to keep the property safe; they failed to do so; that failure caused the person’s injury and damages.
If you have recently been injured in a personal incident, you likely have a lot of questions. Should you pursue a claim? And if so, what kind? Should you settle with an insurance company?
These are questions that a reputable Oakland personal injury law firm can answer. Take no chances; consult a trusted California personal injury attorney at the Dolan Law Firm for dependable counsel and legal advice. Call us at 510-878-4143 for a free consultation or get in touch by submitting this form.
What You Need To Build A Strong Case
Depending on the severity and scope of the event, you’ll need to compile a few key elements that may strengthen your claim:
- Medical bills and records: These can offer insight into the extent and nature of your injuries, enabling your attorney to properly assess the breadth of the claim;
- Official reports: Besides medical records, you might have to submit other materials like police reports, 911 dispatch recordings, accident reconstruction reports, etc.;
- Witness statements: Witness accounts can help identify who is at fault and determine the level of negligence involved;
- Accident scene photos: Photos of the accident scene can show information such as weather/road conditions, skid marks, and vehicle position;
- Injury photos: Photos of the injured party(ies) can help demonstrate the severity of the injury;
- Financial records: Bank statements, mortgages, loan statements, and other financial documents can provide useful evidence of any losses due to the accident;
- Expert testimony: A doctor or other medical expert can help break down the finer points of the diagnosis, which could be essential to making your case.
Your Oakland personal injury lawyer will gather and present any of the above evidence to illustrate your incident and its impact, demonstrate the at-fault party’s negligence, and establish your right to financial compensation.
Call our injury law firm office at 510-878-4143 to learn more about your legal options.
Common Types Of Injuries
Personal incidents can yield all sorts of injuries. While some individuals escape multi-car crashes unscathed, others may suffer devastating harm from even the tiniest of bumps.
Here are some injuries our Oakland personal injury attorneys come across:
- Broken bones: Weight shifts, extreme forces, and sustained torsion all contribute to broken bones. And while rib fractures, arm fractures, and wrist fractures can all heal over time, many fractures that affect areas including the spine or key limbs may seriously disrupt and effectively abbreviate a person’s life.
- Muscular and ligament strains, tears, or pulls: Muscles and tendons are vulnerable to sudden, jerky motions, and may give way under immense strain. They bring about varying degrees of pain and may prevent motion depending on the severity of the injury.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): These occur when the brain incurs damage through a violent impact, a penetrating wound, or oxygen deprivation. A traumatic brain injury poses serious risks, such as significant physical impairments and/or cognitive deficits in severe cases.
- Spinal cord damage: This occurs when the spinal column is violently struck or punctured, leaving the injured person with the most permanent of disabilities: partial or full paralysis, which includes paraplegia and tetraplegia. These sorts of injuries often occur due to motor vehicle collisions, workplace mishaps, construction accidents, and falls.
- Burns: Fires, hot liquids, and steam can all inflict severe levels of burn injuries that can result in scarring, shock, and organ damage if untreated. Third-degree burns (also called full-thickness burns) are the most severe, involving all layers of the skin and resulting in physiological damage and rehabilitation needs for those that are injured.
- Amputations: Crush injuries and collisions can decapitate fingers, limbs, and extremities. At the same time, medical errors can also lead to unnecessary amputations. These incidents are horrific, often affecting those involved for life, requiring them to relearn even the most basic daily activities while also coping with lifelong discomfort and pain.
Traumatic injuries to the head, neck, and back may be difficult to detect immediately after the incident. Car accident victims often go home only to find themselves in considerable pain the following day. Do not take any chances. No matter what sort of personal accident you are involved in, or injuries you have sustained — it is vital to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
We understand the pain, we understand the law, and we understand our clients. Our experienced Oakland personal injury lawyers cover a wide range of related practice areas — car or motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, or even premises liability mishaps.
Are you ready to discuss your case with an Oakland personal injury attorney? If you live anywhere in Oakland or throughout the Bay Area, do not wait; contact the Dolan Law Firm today.
Discuss Your Legal Options With A Personal Injury Attorney In Oakland
Our lawyers in California have been proudly serving Oakland and other cities in the San Francisco Bay Area ever since we opened our doors in 1995! So put our years of experience to work for you; whether it is a serious injury, wrongful death, or wrongful termination case — our Oakland personal injury attorneys are here to help.
Contact us today.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find the right personal injury attorney in Oakland to handle my case?
If you are searching for a personal injury lawyer in Oakland, the best place to start is by asking friends or family. If that is not an option, check with your local or state bar associations for referrals. A simple online search can also help you find a lawyer, along with useful reviews and case results. Before you decide, book a free consultation to see if an attorney is right for you.
When should I hire an Oakland personal injury attorney?
If you have suffered a personal injury in Oakland, California, it is vital that you reach out to a qualified attorney as soon as possible. The statute of limitations for civil suits in the state is typically two years — and filing even one day beyond that could cost your right to recover damages.
How can an Oakland personal injury attorney help my case?
A good Oakland personal injury attorney can provide the skilled legal representation to give you sound advice and support. They can help:
- Explain your legal rights, options, and responsibilities;
- Accurately calculate damages;
- Gather, analyze, and present evidence of liability;
- Review the negligent party’s insurance policy;
- Negotiate with liable parties and insurance companies on your behalf.
Which personal injury cases do our Oakland injury attorneys handle?
A personal injury claim covers any injury (psychological or physical) resulting from negligence or a negligent act. Our Oakland injury attorneys often handle the following types of personal injury accidents: