San Leandro Car Accident Lawyer
Skilled Attorneys Protecting Your Interests After a San Leandro Car Accident
California roadways are among the busiest in the US and, even despite the highest degree of caution, car accidents still happen due to the negligence or reckless actions of other drivers. If you are an injured victim, you could face an uphill battle in getting your life back. The costs of medical treatment for your injuries may be astronomical, and you could be out of work for some time as you recover. However, your financial woes may not even compare to the intense pain and suffering you experience. The idea of filing a claim for compensation after California car accident may be overwhelming when you do not know your rights.
Our dedicated car accident attorneys at the Dolan Law Firm will ensure you never have to face the legal challenges of an auto collision alone. We have the experience and knowledge necessary to protect your rights, whether in settlement negotiations with tough insurance companies or in court. Our lawyers have decades of combined experience serving victims of car accidents in San Leandro, San Francisco, Marin County, CA and throughout the Bay Area. When working with our team, you get the peace of mind knowing that your auto crash claim is in good hands.
Aggressive Representation in Tough California Car Accident Cases
Most auto collision cases in California are based on the theory of negligence, which requires you to prove:
1. The responsible driver had a duty to operate his or her vehicle safely;
2. That person breached the duty of care by driving in a careless manner;
3. The breach of duty caused the motor vehicle accident which led to your injuries; and,
4. You suffered losses as a result.
While the elements of a car accident claim seem straightforward, gathering the necessary facts to prove the case is a demanding, meticulous process. Though many auto crashes settle out of court in negotiations with the responsible driver’s insurance company, you still must strongly establish each of the four items above.
Access to the Best Resources to Help Prove Your Claim
The attorneys at Dolan Law Firm know that insurers are businesses first and they do not have your best interests in mind. When discussing settlement with an agent, we present strong evidence to demonstrate that you are entitled to compensation. If your case goes to court, we develop our legal strategy around solid proof and arguments to support your position. To obtain financial recoveries above industry averages, our firm partners with accomplished, educated resources.
- We work closely with knowledgeable experts in such specialties as investigative work, financial analysis, and motor vehicle technology.
- Our attorneys retain accident reconstruction specialists with backgrounds in physics and other sciences. These individuals are trained in using advanced solutions, including 3D software, that enables them to identify the causes and contributing factors in car accidents.
- We consult with medical experts, who are necessary to assess your medical records, including diagnosis, prognosis, procedures, and medications. Behind the scenes, these professionals help at trial and during settlement negotiations. At trial, we may call them as testifying experts under the California Evidence Code, where they can help explain complex medical concepts to members of a jury.
- Our firm uses economic experts and actuaries as necessary to determine the costs of your future care, in the event that your injuries lead to permanent disability or require long-term care. These specialists can also help prove losses related to future wages, prospective business opportunities you may miss, and diminished earning capacity.
You Do Have Rights as an Injured Victim
There are two types of damages you can recover after suffering injuries in an auto accident in California. Damages refer to the losses you suffer, including:
Economic Damages: These are the out-of-pocket or readily ascertainable losses you sustain as a result of your injuries, such as:
- The costs of medical treatment, emergency or urgent care, surgery, physical therapy, specialists, prescriptions, and related expenses; and,
- Lost income, if you cannot work in your normal occupation due to your injuries.
Non-Economic Damages: Some losses cannot be quantified by a dollar value, but you no doubt endure hardship. Pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and similar harms are examples of non-economic damages. These losses are established by presenting:
- Medical records;
- Images of property damage and bodily injuries;
- X-rays and scans;
- Notes of treating healthcare providers;
- Tracking showing your activity levels before and after the crash;
- Expert testimony of medical experts; and,
- Any other evidence that demonstrates how the car accident and resulting injuries impact your life, enjoyment, and overall well-being.
Factors Impacting Your Compensation
Despite the severity of your injuries, there are certain issues that can affect your right to compensation or the amount you can recover. The Dolan Law Firm team will advise you on:
- California’s Statute of Limitations: By law, you have two years from the date of your car accident to sue the responsible driver. In some instances, such as when a public entity is involved, the statute of limitations may be as short as six months. This rule, known as the California statute of limitations, prohibits you from filing a lawsuit to recover compensation if you do not do so in a timely manner. There are very limited exceptions to the law, so it is critical to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Please be advised that your potential case is governed by a statute of limitations (a limited time period in which you must begin a lawsuit). Statutes of limitations differ depending on the type of case involved. Some of these time periods may be as short as six months, while others can be as long as two years. We do not have enough information to identify which statute of limitations applies in your case. You should consult with a lawyer, the California Code of Civil Procedure, internet resources, and/or visit your law library to identify the applicable statute of limitations for your matter.
- Comparative Negligence: California follows a rule known as comparative negligence, which puts the focus on your own negligence in a car accident case. If your careless actions contribute to the incident, your compensation is reduced on a percentage basis.
Discuss Your Case with a Skilled San Leandro Car Accident Lawyer
At the Dolan Law Firm, our attorneys are committed to fighting for the rights of injured victims whose lives are turned upside down by a car accident. If we cannot negotiate a fair settlement with the responsible driver’s insurance company, we will take the battle to court to get the financial recovery you deserve under California law. Please call us toll free at 1-888-452-4752 to schedule a free, no-obligations consultation or check us out online to learn more about our legal services in San Leandro, CA car accident cases.