Count on an Injury Lawyer in San Mateo to Enforce Your Rights
Residents and visitors in San Mateo encounter potential risks on a daily basis, and these threats are exacerbated when other people do not exercise reasonable care in going about their activities. Your first thoughts may turn to motor vehicle accidents, but there are also dangers posed by slip and fall incidents, dog bites, defective products, medical errors, and many other circumstances.
Fortunately, California law allows you to recover compensation if you sustain injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence. Our personal injury attorneys at the Dolan Law Firm will protect your rights, as we have for accident victims in San Mateo, San Francisco, Marin County, CA and throughout the Bay Area for several decades.
Dedicated to Helping Victims in All Types of California Injury Claims
In most situations, victims suffer injuries in accidents caused by the negligence of another person. Our injury lawyers develop a strategy to support your claim, which requires proof that the responsible party breached a legal duty of care, causing the incident in which you were hurt, and you suffered damages as a result. Our lawyers provide advice and counsel in a variety of accident scenarios, including:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents, where an operator’s carelessness causes a crash;
- Uber and Lyft crashes, including those involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist, or driver who flees the scene;
- Bicyclists and pedestrians hit by a motor vehicle under circumstances showing driver negligence;
- Defective products, when a company introduces an item that is dangerous due to design, manufacturing, or labeling defects;
- Dog bite claims, since California law makes an owner strictly liable for bite injuries regardless of whether the animal had bitten before;
- Medical malpractice, where a healthcare provider makes an error that leads to patient injury;
- Elder abuse and neglect, if a loved one suffers injuries while under their care;
- Premises liability cases, when a building owner fails to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe manner; and,
- Many other types of accident claims.
At the Dolan Law Firm, we are proud to offer a comprehensive suite of legal services for victims of all types of accidents. In many of the above situations, you will be dealing with an insurance company to file a claim for compensation. Our attorneys are aggressive in pursuing these companies and will represent your interests during settlement negotiations to resolve your claim. However, if we cannot reach an agreement in an amount that is sufficient to compensate you for your injuries, we will file a lawsuit in court to enforce your rights.
Use Caution in Discussions with Insurance Companies
Because many cases involve insurance companies that provide coverage for their policyholders, it is important to understand how insurers work on claims. While an adjuster may seem compassionate and caring about your situation, always remember that you are an adverse party. Paying out your claim runs contrary to their objectives of making profits and minimizing costs. Representatives are eager to protect the interests of the company, so they do not have your best interests in mind.
Insurance agents engage in such tactics as:
- Denying that their own policyholder is a fault in the accident that caused your injuries;
- Putting the blame on you to avoid paying full compensation, under the theory of comparative negligence described below;
- Contesting the severity of your injuries;
- Stating that your medical records and other documentary proof is insufficient to justify your claim;
- Telling you that your claim is weak and you could not succeed at trial, so you should settle out of court for a low offer;
- Requiring you to sign a release of your rights in exchange for your agreement on the compensation they offer, which may not be enough to fully cover your losses; or,
- Citing any other justification to deny your claim or reduce your compensation amount.
Your Right to Compensation as an Accident Victim
Regardless of which circumstances led to your injuries, the Dolan Law Firm is dedicated to ensuring you recover for all losses, which may extend to many aspects of your life. Our lawyers will seek full compensation for such damages as:
- Medical Costs: These losses incorporate all types of health-related treatment, including emergency or urgent care, physical therapy, surgery, out-patient procedures, pain medications, and related expenses.
- Income-Based Losses: If you are out of work or cannot return to your regular profession because of your injuries, you may be entitled to recover for lost income, missed business opportunities, and decreased earning capacity.
- Property Damage: If your vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or other personal property is damaged as a result of the accident, you can recover the repair or replacement costs.
- Personal Losses: Your injuries may have an impact on your relationships with your spouse, children, and other loved ones.
- Emotional Distress: It is common for accident victims to suffer some emotional anguish after an accident, so you may be able to recover related damages for depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, and similar types of emotional trauma.
- Quality of Life Losses: Many accident victims are unable to participate in their favorite activities after suffering injuries.
Limitations Under California Law
Even if you meet the requirements of a negligence cause of action, your compensation may be reduced by California’s statute of limitations. You must file a lawsuit within two years after your accident or your claim is forever barred. There are certain exceptions, such as where you did not discover an injury in a medical malpractice case. Still, it is important to not delay in consulting with an attorney regarding your case. Please be advised that your potential case is governed by a statute of limitations (a limited time period in which you must begin a lawsuit). Statutes of limitations differ depending on the type of case involved. Some of these time periods may be as short as six months, while others can be as long as two years. We do not have enough information to identify which statute of limitations applies in your case. You should consult with a lawyer, the California Code of Civil Procedure, internet resources, and/or visit your law library to identify the applicable statute of limitations for your matter.
In addition, California follows the comparative negligence theory in accident claims. If you were partially at fault, your compensation is reduced by the percentage of blame attributable to you. Our lawyers at the Dolan Law Firm can discuss potential limitations with you to ensure they do not negatively impact your claim.
Contact a San Mateo Injury Lawyer Right Away
You can trust our injury attorneys at the Dolan Law Firm to fight for your rights and assist you in getting the compensation you deserve under California law. Please call us toll free at 1-888-452-4752 to schedule a free consultation, or visit our website to learn more about our legal services for San Mateo, CA injury victims.