You Can Trust a Car Accident Lawyer in Daly City to Protect Your Rights
It is common to feel overwhelmed and confused if you suffered injuries in a car accident, but your ordeal may be just beginning. You will need immediate medical care, and perhaps even surgery and ongoing care. It is possible you will be out of work due to a temporary or permanent disability, so you may lose income. There may also be considerable pain and suffering, implications for your personal relationships, emotional distress, and other effects on your quality of life.
Our skilled car accident attorneys at the Dolan Law Firm take the burden of an auto collision off your shoulders. We will seek compensation for your losses, so you can heal, recover, and get back to your life after a motor vehicle crash. Our team has decades of combined experience serving clients in Daly City, San Francisco, Marin County, CA and throughout the Bay Area. We are motivated to provide you with peace of mind by taking the stress out of your auto crash claim.
Dedicated Advocacy in Challenging California Car Accident Claims
Though the specifics may vary, motor vehicle collisions are usually due to carelessness by a motorist. To succeed on a claim based upon negligence, you must prove that:
- The responsible driver had a duty to operate the vehicle safely and avoid causing a risk of harm to others on the road;
- That person breached this duty of care by not driving safely;
- The breach of duty caused the car accident in which you were injured; and,
- You suffered losses as a result.
These four essential elements may seem straightforward, but there is a considerable amount of investigation, strategy, and preparation necessary to prevail on a negligence claim. Our dedicated car accident attorneys at the Dolan Law Firm have the experience and knowledge necessary to protect your interests, but we also partner with experts that support our efforts, including:
- Physicians and medical experts;
- Actuaries and economists;
- Accident reconstruction technicians;
- Motor vehicle technology specialists; and,
- Many other types of experts as allowed by the California Evidence Code.
The Role of the Insurance Company
In most traffic-related collisions, you will pursue compensation from the responsible driver through his or her insurance company. Under the circumstances, you should understand the position of the insurer in a car accident claim. Insurance providers are businesses driven by earning profits for stakeholders. They do not put their bottom line at risk by paying out large settlement sums to auto crash victims like you. Instead, an agent will:
- Contest your version of events in the accident, in an attempt to absolve its own policyholder from liability;
- Attempt to place blame on you, in whole or in part;
- Dispute the nature or severity of your injuries;
- Question how the accident affected your quality of life; and,
- Present all evidence that may justify denying your claim or only paying a partial amount, which may be insufficient to compensate you for your losses.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Every case is unique, but many auto accidents share some common features, such as when a motorist:
- Violates California traffic laws;
- Travels in excess of the posted speed limit or at a speed that is unsafe for weather, traffic, and surrounding conditions;
- Engages in improper lane changes;
- Drives erratically or recklessly;
- Fails to yield right of way;
- Violates state law on distracted driving;
- Makes an unsafe turn or U-turn;
- Fails to use turn indicators;
- Drives under the influence of drugs or alcohol; and,
- Many other factors.
Compensation for Your Losses as a Victim
If successful in establishing the four elements required in a negligence case, you may be entitled to recover two types of damages under California law. They are:
- Economic Damages: These are the readily ascertainable losses you sustain from your injuries, some of which may be out-of-pocket costs. Examples of economic damages include:
- The costs of medical care, emergency or urgent treatment, surgery, out-patient procedures, physical therapy, prescriptions, and related expenses; and,
- Lost wages, if you cannot work on account of your injuries.
- Non-Economic Damages: Some losses cannot be quantified, but you no doubt face adversity. Pain and suffering, losses based upon your personal relationships, emotional distress, disfigurement, and similar harms are examples. To prove non-economic damages, our team reviews:
- Your medical records;
- Pain medications;
- Images of property damage and your injuries;
- X-rays and imaging scans;
- Physician notes; and,
- Related information that demonstrates how the crash and your injuries impact your quality of life, relationships, and overall well-being.
California Laws Affecting Car Accident Claims
Even when you can prove negligence and present sufficient evidence regarding your losses, state law may impact your right or amount of compensation. Our lawyers at the Dolan Law Firm can explain your options regarding:
- California’s Statute of Limitations: Please be advised that your potential case is governed by a statute of limitations (a limited time period in which you must begin a lawsuit). Statutes of limitations differ depending on the type of case involved. Some of these time periods may be as short as six months, while others can be as long as two years. We do not have enough information to identify which statute of limitations applies in your case. You should consult with a lawyer, the California Code of Civil Procedure, internet resources, and/or visit your law library to identify the applicable statute of limitations for your matter.
- Comparative Negligence: California follows the rule of comparative negligence, which was established by case law precedent. If your own conduct was a factor in the circumstances of your auto collision, your compensation is reduced by the percentage of fault attributable to you.
Schedule an Appointment with a Daly City Car Accident Lawyer Today
At the Dolan Law Firm, our car accident attorneys are relentless in fighting for victims who suffer financially, physically, and emotionally due to their injuries. We will protect your interests in settlement negotiations with the responsible driver’s insurance company, but we also have the litigation skills necessary to represent you in court. Please call us toll free at 1-888-452-4752 to schedule a free, no-obligations consultation regarding your claim. You can also visit our website to learn more about our legal services for Daly City, CA car accident victims.